As of May 19th, I've unsubscribed from the Lua mailing list. Thus ends an era.
For years I have been a strong proponent of Lua. I've used it in my games, and I've used it in servers with Nginx. I've used Lua to write command line tools, and I've used it to write extensions for existing games. Lua is a great language to play with for a number of reasons. The syntax is easy to learn and somewhat forgiving. It includes the concept of tables, which double as arrays, and even though it's extremely simple, it's also very fast (extremely fast when using LuaJIT).
So why did I leave?
An article on Penny Arcade talks a bit about why Days of Wonder decided to change their Apple-only policy and start developing on Android.
I feel like they spend a lot of time talking about parts that aren't relevant, though. They mention "fragmentation," and then imply that "oh, now it's fixed!", when the truth is that there are still lots of tablets that Ticket To Ride will run on that aren't one of the few mentioned in the article.
After months of spending time at others' beck and call, working on various consulting gigs, I'm finally back in the development chair. At least almost.
As many people know now, web sites can put small packets of information on your computer, called "cookies," and they do this for various reasons. Sometimes it's to save your password on a site, but sometimes it's to track ads you've seen and products you've purchased.
A lot of people seem to want to know how to see what "cookies" have been placed on their computer, and what pages have placed the cookies there. And while they're at it, delete some or all of them. Here is how to see and modify various kinds of cookies:
The big news today is that Nokia and Microsoft have created a partnership, and that Nokia will start selling smartphones based on Windows Phone 7 (WP7).
As an app developer, I think this is a terrible idea. Having to support two phone ecosystems is annoying enough.
Ahh, the Android build process is always fun.
In my previous blog post I talked about how huge LuaBind and OOLua++ were. Apparently I needed to do a clean build, though, because
Edit on Jan 24, 2012: A new Lua binding generator now takes top honors.
I write game libraries first, and then games. It's in my blood, or at least I'm in a rut. One way or another, it's a habit that I find hard to break.
And I've become a major fan of the programming language Lua; it's fast and small and easy to bind to C or C++. Or so I thought...
Warning; this post gets technical. If you don't like reading about C/C++ esoterica, don't hit "Read More." You've been warned. :)